English in London
Learn English. Enjoy London


We think you should know something about how to open a British bank account, to take out insurance and to get a VISA.

Opening a British bank account

It's not easy for English language students to open a British bank account. Some banks are more strict, some more relaxed in their rules. They usually ask proof of your address (for example, an electricity bill showing your name and address). They could also verify if you have a valid UK visa for a time (months, 1 year) and you have paid your school (the same, months, 1 year).

Student travel insurance

Before you get to the UK, we strongly recommend that you take out insurance for your own financial and personal security. Should you not have your own personal insurance, you can take out the International Insurance policy, which usually covers:


If you are coming to the UK from an EEA (European Economic Area) country or Swizerland you don't need a visa to study here, regardless of the length of your course.

Citizens of other countries need to apply for a visa to study in the UK. The kind of visa depends on how long you're going to study in the UK: for more than 6 months, you will need to apply for a General Student Visa, whereas, if you plan to study for less than 6 months and are not intending to work whilst in the UK you can apply for a Student Visitor Visa.

Please, visit the United Kingdom Border Agency's website for more information on the correct procedure to follow when applying for leave to remain to study in the UK.